The Induction Program is a training program sponsored by the Schuylkill Intermediate Unit 29 Curriculum Department and is mandatory in order to obtain a Level II Certification. This program provides a series of planned experiences, activities and studies designed to increase the beginning teacher’s knowledge and improve his or her teaching skills; thereby, helping to facilitate an orderly and successful passage for that teacher through his or her initial teaching period. Schuylkill IU 29 will provide the required training sessions and new teachers will work closely with their mentors to fulfill the remaining requirements of the district Induction Plan.
Inductees must fulfill all the requirements for induction that include:
- Be knowledgeable about the process of transitioning from Instructional I to Instructional II certification.
- Complete all necessary paperwork.
- Attend all scheduled training and meetings with mentor.
- Keep a journal or log detailing experiences during the induction process.
- Seek the aid of their supervisor should serious conflicts arise between the first year teacher and the mentor.
- Utilize the expertise of the mentor on a regular basis.
Induction Program Information:
- 2 Training days in August - Day 1 is for Inductees, Day 2 is for both Inductees and Mentors
- 4 Extended sessions for Inductees - 1 per month September through December
- Frequent meetings with mentor to discuss professional responsibilities
The dates are as follows:
- Aug 11, 2021 - Inductee only - 8:00 AM - 3:00 PM
- Aug 12, 2021 - Inductee and Mentor - 8:00 AM - 3:30 PM
- Sep 14, 2021 - Extended Induction - My Role in Special Education, 7-12th Grade - 4:30 PM - 6:30 PM
- Sep 16, 2021 - Extended Induction - My Role in Special Education, K-6th Grade - 4:30 PM - 6:30 PM
- Oct 5, 2021 - Extended Induction - Data Informed Decision Making, K-6th Grade - 4:30 PM - 6:30 PM
- Oct 7, 2021 - Extended Induction - Data Informed Decision Making, 7-12th Grade - 4:30 PM - 6:30 PM
- Nov 10, 2021 - Extended Induction - Diverse Learner Strategies, K-6th Grade - 4:30 PM - 6:30 PM
- Nov 16, 2021 - Extended Induction - Diverse Learner Strategies, 7-12th Grade - 4:30 PM - 6:30 PM
- Dec 1, 2021 - Extended Induction - Technology Integration, K-6th Grade - 4:30 PM - 6:30 PM
- Dec 8, 2021 - Extended Induction - Technology Integration, 7-12th Grade - 4:30 PM - 6:30 PM
Induction Council Representatives:
Blue Mountain - Gwendolyn Belding
Gillingham Charter School - Karen Shanoskie
Child Development Inc. - Jennifer Knepshield
Minersville Area - Nannette Bentz and Barb Conville
North Schuylkill - Kimberly Groody
Pine Grove Area - Mary Figura
Pottsville Area - Jared Gerace
St. Clair Area - Jennifer Buletza
Schuylkill Haven Area - Dr. Susan Morgan
Shenandoah Valley - Kelly Savakinas
Schuylkill IU 29 - Debra Arnold
Maple Avenue Campus - Paula Hromyak
Schuylkill Technology Center - Stacey Minahan
Tamaqua Area - Steve Toth
Tri-Valley - Robert Felty
Williams Valley - Stephanie Carl
IU 29 Contact:
(570) 544-9131 extension 1276