Guest Teacher ProgramThe Guest Teacher Program is organized by Schuylkill Intermediate Unit 29 Curriculum Department. The program prepares participants to replace classroom teachers during their absence. Participants must have a Bachelor’s Degree and no PA teaching certificate. This program is not intended for teachers who have a lapsed or inactive PA certificate.
The purpose of the training is to explain the program, provide information, meet with Schuylkill Intermediate Unit 29 administrators and school district administrators, obtain feedback from prior guest teachers, and respond to your questions. The procedure for applying for emergency certification will be fully explained and Curriculum Department staff will assist participants with completion of the required paperwork. During these training sessions, you will learn about professionalism, lesson planning, behavior/classroom management, special education, and techniques to deal with today's students.
Upon successful completion of the two full-day training sessions, completion of required paperwork, and approval from the PA Department of Education, you will be qualified to work as a substitute in any subject area for the current academic school year in the following participating school entities:
- Blue Mountain
- Mahanoy Area
- Minersville Area
- North Schuylkill
- Pine Grove Area
- Pottsville Area
- St. Clair Area
- Schuylkill Haven Area
- Schuylkill Intermediate Unit 29 - Early Intervention, Maple Avenue Campus & Schuylkill Technology Centers
- Shenandoah Valley
- Tamaqua Area
- Williams Valley
- Gillingham Charter
The participating school entities in Schuylkill County appreciate your interest and willingness to become involved in the education of children and look forward to seeing you in their classrooms!
Guest Teacher Program (FAQ's) - please read prior to calling
Guest Teacher Training Schedule:
Participants must attend both days of the session. Please contact Theresa Kozura at (570) 544-9131 extension 1276 to register.*The only documents/paperwork needed to attend the training session are 2 forms of identification. All other documents/paperwork will be explained in detail at the session.Location: Maple Avenue Campus, Mar Lin (TV Studio)Day 1: August 24, 2021 *must present 2 forms of acceptable ID
Day 2: August 25, 2021Location: Schuylkill Haven Area School DistrictDay 1: November 9, 2021 *must present 2 forms of acceptable ID(snow date: TBD)
Day 2: November 15, 2021(snow date: TBD)Location: Maple Avenue Campus, Mar Lin (TV Studio)Day 1: January 10, 2022 *must present 2 forms of acceptable ID(snow date: January 12, 2022)
Day 2: January 12, 2022(snow date: January 14, 2022)Location: TBDDay 1: March 4, 2022 *must present 2 forms of acceptable ID(snow date: March 7, 2022)
Day 2: March 8, 2022(snow date: March 9, 2022)Times for Day 1 and Day 2:
Registration/Sign In: 8:30 am to 9:00 am
Program: 9:00 am to 2:00 pm (lunch on your own)Additional time will be provided from 2:15 - 3:00 for participants wishing to receive more detail or demonstration of paperwork requirements.
Guest Teacher Participants MUST:
Guest Teacher Renewal PacketNote: Please read all. Items listed below in bold must be completed.
- Have a desire to make a positive impact on children
- Successfully complete a two (2) day training program
- Submit $5.00 Internet Emergency processing fee made payable to Schuylkill IU 29
- Submit current criminal history, child abuse, and FBI fingerprint (PA Department of Education) clearances showing proof of no incidents
- Present two (2) forms of acceptable identification (i.e. driver's license, social security card, etc.) at the first session
- Submit official documentation of an earned bachelor's degree in any field other than education from an accredited college or university in a sealed, unopened envelope
- Participate in state mandated Act 126 training
- Complete all other paperwork requirements