SCHUYLKILL IU 29’s PA Institute for Instructional Coaching (PIIC) Initiative
PIIC's Mission: To support instructional coaching which helps teachers strengthen
instructional practice, increase student engagement, and improve student learning.
Opportunities for coaching support from the IU mentor include:
- supports instructional coaches across the state through Intermediate Unit mentors in a variety of settings.
- is a statewide resource for instructional coaching.
- is a grant-funded project through PDE and the Annenberg Foundation, so there is no cost to districts to participate.
PIIC’s model of effective coaching to assist teachers in classrooms is based upon these core elements:
- Monthly Coaches’ Networking Meetings
- On-site Support
- Statewide Coaching Conferences
For more information, please contact:
- to advocate one-on-one and small-group support for teachers, coaches, and school leaders
- to focus on collecting, analyzing, and using data to identify student needs, assess changes in classroom instructional practice, and measure student progress
- to emphasize the use of evidence-based literacy practices and research-based instructional techniques
- to support reflective and non-evaluative practices.
Andy Gavalis, Ed.D., IU29 PIIC Mentor
Supervisor of English Language Arts and District Support Consultant
(570)544-9131 ext. 1214