Language Instruction Education Program (LIEP)
It is the goal of Schuylkill Intermediate Unit 29 to provide Language Instruction Education Program (LIEP) services to each of the consortium member school districts. These services shall include but are not limited to the following:
- English Language Development (ELD) instruction for each student whose dominant language is not English for the purpose of facilitating the student’s achievement of English Proficiency and to meet the academic standards under Chapter 4.12.
- Provide for training opportunities for all staff related to ELD.
- Formal assessment (both initial and re-designation) of students whose Primary Home Language is Other Than English (PHLOTE) for identification and progress purposes.
- Guidance related to PA state exit criteria for ELD instruction.
- Guidance related to implementation and revision of a district LIEP Program Plan and ELD Curriculum.
- Guidance related to LIEP Monitoring and Evaluation.
- Maintain a list of translators and interpreters.
Questions regarding LIEP services can be address to : Barbara Wilkinson, Supervisor of School Improvement (570)544-9131 ext. 1215
An online resource of professional learning opportunities and instructional materials that supports Pennsylvania educators and community organizations as they strive to provide equitable, high quality educational programs for English learners and their families. The portal also links to updated federal and state guidance, current educational research, instructional practice and more .http://www.eslportalpa.info/