Five Year Period:
5-year period begins the effective date of issuance of the initial certificate.
Requirements will be renewed at the end of each 5-year period.
- Read Pennsylvania Department of Education (PDE)
Act 48 FAQ
- Keep PDE apprised of any changes to name and/or mailing address by logging into Teacher Information Management System (TIMS).
- Keep the Schuylkill IU 29 apprised of any changes to name and/or mailing address by completing the Act 48 Data Sheet.
- Monitor credit/hours status on PDE website during each 5-year period and contact the approved provider to correct any discrepancies.
Continuing Education Progress
Approval and Submission Guidelines
- IU sponsored Continuing Profession Education courses: will be submitted by the Act 48 records department to PDE.
- IU sponsored workshops/trainings: will be submitted by the Act 48 records department to PDE.
- Non-IU sponsored workshops/trainings: provider will submit hours to PDE or pre-approval from IU 29 must be obtained.
Directions for obtaining IU 29 pre-approval for workshops/trainings offered by other providers:
- Pre-Approval Form 48-29-10 Complete Sections I, II and III if activity provider will not be submitting hours to PDE.
- Submit completed Pre-approval Form 48-29-10 to Curriculum Department, Attention: Act 48 Records Department. A completed and signed Conference Request Form form must accompany Form 48-29-10.
- Pre-approval form will be signed and returned to you.
Directions for submitting ACT 48 hours after conclusion of activity sponsored by other providers:
- Within 2 weeks of workshop/training, complete Section IV of
Pre-Approval Form 48-29-10 and re-submit to the Curriculum Department, Attention: Act 48 Records Division along with validated attendance documentation.
- IU 29 will not accept hours received after the 2-week deadline.