As summer draws to a close and children start heading back to school, family life can get pretty hectic. It's important to remember – and share with your children – some key tips that will help keep them safe and healthy throughout the school year. Download the back-to-school checklist here.
Many School-related injuries are completely preventable. Follow these steps to ensure your child's safety at school.
Choose a backpack for your child carefully; it should have ergonomically designed features to enhance safety and comfort.
- Ask your children to use both straps when wearing their backpack to evenly distribute the weight on their shoulders
- Don't overstuff a backpack; it should weigh no more than 5% to 10% of your child's body weight
- Rolling backpacks should be used cautiously since they can create a trip hazard in crowded school hallways
Playground and Sports
- To reduce strangulation hazards on playgrounds, have your child leave necklaces and jackets with drawstrings at home
- A few bumps and bruises can be expected when your child plays sports, but head injuries should never be ignored.
(Information obtained from the National Safety Council's Website.)
Visit their website to read the full article: